Winter has already knocked the door by saying Goodbye to autumn. It is one of the most loved seasons with perfect matrimony of cold breeze and warm sun. With the drop in the temperature and humidity, it becomes important and necessary to protect our little ones to make the winter an enjoyable experience. Cold, cough, running nose, dry skin, diarrhea are quite common signs that affect the children during winter. Here are some simple yet practical tips to follow for the parents to help their little ones makes this season more comfortable and enjoyable.
- Clothing: choosing the right kind of clothing is important to protect your little one from the cold weather as well as the varying temperatures during the day.
- It is always preferable to make the child wear clothes in layers with cotton under layer and sweater/ sweatshirt/ jacket on top of it to keep the body warm. Top layer with a Zipper is convenient for removal.
- A hood or cap covering the ears is preferred to protect the head and ears from windchills.
- Make sure the child wears comfortable socks to go with the winter and a pair of gloves if the temperature is too low.
- During bedtime, it is advisable to keep the room temp cozy rather than putting too heavy and too many clothes. Cotton nights wear with a light sweater as the top layer and a warm blanket will help your child sleep better.
- Aerate the room: Yes, you read it right! Closed warm room attracts and has more microbes. It is important to aerate the room by leaving the windows and doors open for a few minutes when the sun is shining brightly so that clean air can flow through the room.
- Hydration: Generally with the decrease in temperature kids don’t feel thirsty and parents also ignore to make them drink water at regular intervals. But it is very important to make sure the child drinks water at regular intervals to keep the body hydrated. Give little warm water or give tulsi leaves boiled and cooled water, which not only hydrates but also helps boost the immunity.
- Hygiene: Parents often use water sparingly thinking it attracts cold to wash the hands of their children.
- You can use warm water to wash hands or sanitizer before eating as hands are the main source to carry infection for communicable diseases like cold, cough, flu.
- Similarly, timely washing of clothes and woolens is also important as a lot of dirt gathers on them and cause infection.
- Moisturize: It is important to moisturize the skin well.
- Oils like olive, almond, coconut or with some good moisturizer to moisten dry skin n chappy lips.
- You can also change the regular bathing soap with castile soap to avoid dryness.
- Use mosquito repellent cream or patches to keep the mosquitoes at bay and let the little ones enjoy outdoor activities.
- Nutrition: Food is very important for not only nourishing the body but also to help the little ones boost their immunity. Make sure u feed the child with a variety of foods from different food groups like whole cereals, pulses, fresh and seasonal colorful veggies &fruits, milk, curd, butter, cheese, eggs, nuts, and fish n chicken (if non-veggie) for getting varied nutrients present in them. For example, a fruit before playing helps the child to be more energetic while playing and a cup of hot/warm chocolate milk after the play works wonders. You can be more creative with the meals to maintain the kids interest in eating wholesome meals.
I am sure considering these points will definitely help you and your children making this winter season more enjoyable. Stay healthy, Stay fit.