After pregnancy and delivery, one of the most common concerns for any women is how to lose weight while breastfeeding. Any breastfeeding women generally have lots of questions in her mind, whether to lose weight or not? Is it healthy for her and to baby to lose weight while feeding the baby or not? If she starts losing weight, her milk secretion will be hampered or not, and many such more questions.
First and important thing is that breastfeeding itself helps you in weight loss over the period. Though it is not a speedy process but gradually it makes you lose weight. Approximately due to breastfeeding you lose 800-850 calories a day! Because, breastfeeding body utilizes stored fat in the body. So along with feeding daily, if you just follow breastfeeding diet for weight loss then you can surely achieve target.
When to start losing weight:
You need to wait for at least 2 months before thinking of losing weight once you start breastfeeding. Because our body needs so much time to get adjusted with feeding habit. And also establish proper milk supply since child birth. Losing weight while feeding your baby is surely possible but you should do it with great caution and with patience.
So here are simple tips for weight loss while breastfeeding, without compromising healthy foods intake and milk supply.
- Give yourself some time: You took entire nine months to put on current weight so how can you expect to lose it within month or 3 months? Do not pressurize yourself for this as this can hamper your milk supply. Additionally, it can hamper nutrition to baby due to insufficient nutrient content through feeding. So be patient and lose your weight gradually.
- Deduct calories but not too much: It is safe to reduce calories while feeding but be cautious that you are not reducing it too much. You should not reduce your caloric intake less than 1800 calories, but you can surely modify a quality of food by including most of the nutritious content. “Do not Diet” by depriving yourself but eat lots of healthy food items.
- Nutrient density is the right choice: During breastfeeding period you need maximum calories but to control the weight you need to manage portion controls so eating nutrient dense food is the best solution for that. Nutrient dense foods mean foods which contain enough essential nutrients while they are less in unnecessary nutrients like Fats and calories. E.g. Lean chicken, egg whites, beans, Fish, Milk, curd etc can be few example for it.
- Eat Small frequent meals: Keeping long gaps between two meals can also show hormonal effect which affects milk supply. Also keeping yourself starving can make you eat foods which you should not be eating. Small frequent meals can provide you adequate energy as well as supports weight loss.
- Be a fat Detective: While eating be a fat detective by selecting low-fat foods such as low-fat dairy products, fatty meat, reducing intake of visible fat from cooking and avoiding fried and oily food items. Also check food labels for ready to cook food products.
- Drink Drink Drink: always drink lots of water daily, which prevents you from dehydration, also maintains milk supply and fills your stomach so you tend to eat less. You can also include liquid drinks like buttermilk, soups etc.
- Lets start exercise: Once you complete 3 months you can start doing light exercises which can help you in burning few calories. Light exercises which focuses on aerobic and cardio workouts daily for at least 30 minutes can be useful for weight loss. Do not stretch your limits by doing excessive exercises. You can also start doing strength training exercises which can help you in strengthening your bones and muscles.
- Adequate sleep: Most of the times new moms are sleep deprived due to irregular sleeping patterns of newborns. When you are deprived of sleep your body releases stress hormones and cortisol which contributes in weight gain. So taking adequate sleep is essential for initiating losing weight.
- Take help from an expert: Taking help from the expert like dietitian or doctor can be a good thing to achieve your target. Dietitian can help you giving proper advice related to your eating pattern and foods you need to eat. Doctors can help to give you suggestions about how much weight you should lose. They can also advise when to start exercise and breastfeeding diet plan.
If you need any help for planning your diet and also for getting information regarding how much weight loss you need, be free to talk to our experts and get the immediate solution.