Everyone loves chocolates! We exchange them during festive season specially during Diwali, Christmas, New year etc. Chocolates are integral part of birthday parties too!! But when it comes to calorie count and shedding pounds, chocolates are considered to be the culprit…
A good news is- the trend has come which is promoting dark chocolates due to variety of health benefits involved!
First let’s understand the basic types of chocolates widely consumed.
Types of chocolates:
1. Dark / Black chocolates: It is prepared by adding fat and sugar to cocoa. It contains very little or no milk. It is hard and bitter in taste.
2. Milk chocolate: It is made up of milk solids (milk powder), cocoa solids, fat and sugar. In a way it tastes like a mixture of dark and white chocolate! It is smoother and sweeter than dark (black) chocolate.
3. White chocolate: It does not contain cocoa solids (therefore it is white in color!). It contains milk, sugar and cocoa butter. It is smooth and sweet in taste.
Why dark chocolates are healthy?
The more cocoa is present, the healthier the chocolate! Naturally, dark chocolate stands first on health scale due to their high cocoa content.
Cocoa contains flavonoids, a type of antioxidants! Antioxidants cleanse our body from inside and fight against variety of toxins (oxidants) in the body! Also, antioxidants reduce the cell damage, lower blood pressure and help improve heart health.
How to select a dark chocolate?
Don’t buy your dark chocolate blindly! Read the food labels. Choose the chocolate which contains minimum 65% cocoa solids.
1. Don’t replace your healthy food by chocolates!
2. Have chocolates between two meals. Avoid them at bedtime. Clean your teeth well after eating chocolates.