Diwali is a Festival of Joy & Happiness. Lots of special dishes are made only for Diwali like Chakali, Karanji, besan laddoo, anarase etc. All are tasty & yummy but fried and high in calories.
But we all forget about our STOMACH during Diwali. We eat sweets, spicy items in Diwali like we are waiting to have these since years. So knowingly or unknowingly we end up putting all these in our stomach and there are high chances of getting stomach upset like indigestion, constipation, bloating, gases, uneasiness during this season which can easily spoil our festive mood.
Here are some tips to keep your stomach happy in Diwali. (All are helpful for digestion & alleviate gases, stomach upset etc.)
- Do not skip breakfast. Add Diwali faral as a side dish to your breakfast. Keep watch on portion size. Portion control is important.
- Start your day with Green tea or 1 glass of lukewarm lemon water. After meal also one can have hot lemon water as it will help in digestion.
- Chew some seeds of ajwain, helps to remove gas from body
- Lemonade-: Hot ginger lemonade – 1 glass early morning or in between the meal.
- Lemon + ginger juice 1 tablespoon with pinch of asafetida & saidhav salt for taste –after the meals.
- Increase liquid intake like coconut water, water, soups, sarbats, buttermilk, solkadhi etc.
- Engulfed you in daily
- Try to add protein in every meal example: milk, homemade low fat paneer , curd/buttermilk, dal/sprouts variety, nuts , soybean & its products etc
- Avoid outside sweets & packed faral.
- Do not eat Faral on empty stomach. As per “Ayurveda” there is aggravation of “Pitta” in the Sharadrutu,so if you have faral on empty stomach it will lead to increase in your acidity & symptoms which may feel you uneasy & you cannot enjoy your Diwali.
A tree called “Devil’s tree” (Alstoniascholaris) has medicinal properties & its juice is beneficial on indigestion problems. In Konkan area its juice is taken before having faral. It has been found effectual in restoring the tone of the stomach and helps in indigestion.
Procedure for making juice:
- Soak the bark / bark skin in water overnight.
- Remove that water.
- Grind it in pestle & then make a juice in mixer with addition of water.
- Strain the juice. Add saindhav, ajwain, asafetida for taste.
- Have it 1-2 tablepsoon before your yummy tasty faral to avoid indigestion.
So, guys stay healthy & enjoy our prosperous festival.