Diabetes is a disorder associated with impaired insulin secretion. Many times an individual fails to recognize the symptoms for diabetes and its onset. There are four types of diabetes known as type 1 diabetes, type 2 diabetes, childhood diabetes and pregnancy related diabetes. Every type of diabetes can have its own symptoms but following symptoms are mainly associated with increased blood sugar levels.
One must keep a watch on these symptoms if have family history for diabetes, BI more than 23 (falling under overweight or obese category), faulty blood sugar levels etc. these are the risk factors for developing diabetes.
Top common symptoms of diabetes:
- Frequent visit to bathroom: increased blood sugar levels increase the frequency of urination. Are you visiting the washroom more frequently than ever, think about it? Impaired activity of insulin affects glucose filtration in the kidneys. This glucose tries to pass way with urine. Thus it is very common sign of diabetes.
- Feeling thirsty all the time: increased urination can be combined with feeling thirsty throughout the day. Increased urination may affect your water requirements. Body may pull extra water from blood and excrete through urine. Thus it goes hand in hand to feel thirsty and urine more frequently.
- Losing weight unintentionally: it happens majorly with type 1 diabetes. Inactive insulin cannot fulfill the energy requirement for the body. Thus extra fat from body stores and muscle mass is utilized for energy purpose. In type 2 diabetes person can be overweight, but weight loss is not seen. In type 2 diabetes insulin resistance or lowered activity is affected gradually so weight loss is not much.
- Tiredness and burned out feeling: this is mainly associated with impaired insulin activity. As due to inactive insulin glucose cannot complete its task of energy generation. Body cells starve and not able to get required energy. Thus an individual can have a feeling of tiredness and low energy. It not limited to diabetes but Prediabetes also. Prediabetes also knows as impaired insulin activity is characterized by low energy levels and tiredness.
- Blurred vision or tingling sensation in fingers: These symptoms are seen with progression of diabetes. In initial years it is not very common. High sugar levels for prolonged time affect nerves. Thus tingling sensation in leg or fingers is seen. This situation can be delayed with tight blood sugar control and lifestyle modification.
So if you are associated with any of the symptoms give above check your sugar levels first. Prevention is better than cure. Knowing your symptoms is ore important. Overlooking them may worsen the situation.