The World Health Organization (WHO) has estimated that high blood pressure causes one in every 8 deaths worldwide making Hypertension (High blood pressure) the third leading killer in the world. Having blood [pressure is obvious and necessary to move blood through arteries and to provide oxygen to all the tissues of the body. Then what is High Blood Pressure? Why does it occur? How to treat it? These are few commonly asked questions.
What is Hypertension (High Blood Pressure)?
Hypertension is elevated blood pressure. Pressure exerted on the arteries. If the systolic pressure exceeds 160mmHg and Diastolic 95mmHg it is termed as hypertension. One needs drugs support if the diastolic pressure exceeds 100mmHg. With increasing stressful lifestyle, wrong eating habits and less or no physical activity, the age to develop all the lifestyle diseases has lowered. Thus, these diseases can sway you at very young age.
Having healthy diet patterns, regular physical activity and managing your stress levels is the Key! Your diet is one of the most important factors to control your blood pressure. Having a diet rich in salt and sodium rich foods increases your blood pressure. Thus, it becomes important to understand and know the hidden sources of sodium which you need to restrict.
Following few of these simple diet, exercise and stress management tips helps to maintain your blood pressure in normal ranges.
- Include more of whole grains, legume, pulses, fresh green veggies, fruits, in your diet.
- Make use of natural flavorings like lemon juice, tamarind, etc than artificial ones as they are preservatives.
- Keep all packet foods, ready to eat foods, sauces, jams, jellies, papads, and pickles away from your kitchen.
- Restrict bakery and processed products as they are high in sodium.
- Make use of foods like garlic, ginger, onion, cumin seeds, funnel seeds etc to add flavor.
- Always add salt at the end and not while cooking the food.
- Exercise at least for 30min 5 days a week.
- Make your exercise a combination of aerobic, weight training and flexibility exercises.
- Use yoga, pranayam, breathing techniques to de stress you.
- Always take a break from your regular schedule and enjoy with your dear ones.
Following all these tips will help you to manage your high blood pressure smartly.
All the Best!