People are getting health cautious day by day. Many times they buy healthy stuff, nutritious products for better health; but most of the times they fail to get good amount of nutrients. This is because they lack knowledge on a few storage tips and cooking procedures that are really important to preserve nutrients in foods. It is very easy to preserve nutrients in daily diet if one takes little more care while cooking the food.
Here are top 10 tips which will help to preserve nutrient content in foods and help better absorption of nutrients in our body.
- Shop Smart: While shopping, buy fresh fruits and vegetables and minimally processed foods. Avoid foods with preservatives, artificial colors and sweeteners. You can go for low fat products like skimmed milk, slim cheese etc.
- Pre-preparation: Always wash vegetables before chopping them. Chopping before washing may lost nutrient content.
- Avoid Peeling: Peeling vegetables or fruits tends to decrease fiber content of the food. Use vegetables with skin as much as possible to get more fibers. Also avoid chopping vegetables into small pieces. As much as the surface is exposed, vitamins will get lost.
- Use Non Stick Appliances: Non stick pans, tawa’s needs very less oil for cooking. Using more oil depurates quality of foods, using these appliances helps to retain nutrient contain.
- Use Healthy Cooking Methods: Prefer healthy cooking methods like boiling, roasting, steaming over frying or baking. Always keep lid on vessel while cooking food.
- Minimize Reheating: Reheating of food affects nutrient s. Avoid re heating of food, instead have freshly prepared food.
- Store The Food Properly: Pack the food in aluminum foils, airtight containers properly for further use. Keep the food in cool and dry place. Do not keep it open for longer period.
- Do not use cooked foods beyond 24 hours of cooking.
- Use food grade kitchen-wares for cooking.
- Lastly personal and kitchen hygiene is also very important to preserve nutrients & improve the shelf life of any food.