Every mother always wants to enjoy the special moment of breastfeeding between child and her. Breastfeeding creates a special bond between both of them and gives your child a feeling of security. Breastfeeding is actually a natural process, but a woman has to remember a lot of things to make it enjoyable moment for her as well to the child. So many a times lot of confusions blocks their mind and make them curious and anxious for breastfeeding.
So when to start feeding? What are positions for latching? Or what should be the diet for lactating mothers etc. So here sharing 10 tips for lactating mothers, to make them comfortable about the entire process.
- Initiate the process as soon as possible: After normal delivery you can start breastfeeding as soonas possible, no need to wait, you can immediately start practicing latching of a baby. After cesarean delivery, you need to wait for that day and from next day you can breastfeed your child. As soon as you initiate feeding your milk supply starts increasing.
- Don’t get disappointed if it hurts: In the initial stage baby and mother both are no used to with this process so sometimes nipples are cracked, or raw or even breasts are sore sometimes it may hurt. Especially first 2 weeks are crucial for baby and mother but don’t get disappointed it will eventually decrease and you will get acquainted with it.
- It is a learned art: Even though it is a natural process, there is a lot of learning involved for baby and for a mother. Be patient and wait till you both get used to with the process, you will learn and master it gradually.
- Supply increases only with the demand: Breastfeeding is the chain of supply and demand. Whenever your baby demands more milk, your body supply starts increasing. So don’t be worried about enough production of milk, your babies demands will be fulfilled by himself only.
- Time is no barrier: Do not judge your babies hunger on how long your baby is at the breast, observe what he/she is doing. You can easily recognize by swallowing movements that baby is sucking; otherwise if babies are sleeping then they are not feeding properly. So observe every time while feeding.
- Keep your nipples moist: If you are facing a problem of cracked nipples then you can use olive oil and your own breast milk is the best solution for a healing process. So starting from your pregnancy you can start applying almond oil, moisturizers to keep them moist and prevent from cracking.
- Can meet Lactation Consultants: You can take advice from lactation consultants right before your delivery to get proper and genuine advice and to avoid any confusions. Also, if you are facing any difficulties once you start feeding, then also they are the best guide to help. Do not hesitate to share your concerns with them.
- Lactating mother diet: Quality and quantity of mother’s milk is always dependent on what food mother is taking. To fulfill caloric requirements of your baby you at first need to eat sufficient amount of calories so that it will get reflected in milk production. Your doctor or dietitian or lactation consultant can best possibly advice you about diet during lactation. Do follow the dietary guidelines without much thinking of weight gain, because you and your baby both needs them for enough of milk production.
- Drink, Drink and Drink: Taking enough of water supply or fluids is very essential to have sufficient supply of milk. So do not forget at all to drink lots of water every day.
- Enjoy this best time: Do not think that it is the time-consuming process, enjoy this special bonding time between you and your baby. It is not just transferring food to your baby, make this process delightful because this time won’t come back again with your baby.