Our body requires water for various body processes and we need to maintain a good hydration and water balance in our body. Minimum 10-12 glasses of water on daily basis is what is usually the recommended level to keep up with our health.
We lose a lot of water when we are exercising. This water loss happens due to sweating which dehydrates our body and may lead to fatigue. Thus we must ensure a proper hydration during exercise.
These are top 10 tips to get better hydration during exercise:
- While you are exercising, body first loses water percent via sweat. Hence one should have water intake during workout to avoid dehydration.
- Any exercise like dancing, walking, swimming etc. which are done for more than 1 hour can dehydrate you more. Hence having few sips of water or any healthy drink will help.
- One can decide the requirement of intake of water after exercise by observing color of the urine. If it is pale yellow or colorless then you are hydrated and if it is dark yellow then one needs to consume more water.
- Have sips of water before, after and during your exercise schedule.
- Consuming 1-2 glasses of water 2 hours before exercise will keep you hydrated and energetic throughout your exercise.
- Basically your body requires 250ml water every 20 minutes while you exercise but it may differ from person to person.
- Intake of sports drinks is beneficial if one is extending exercise for more than 90 minutes as body loses various salts through sweat. Have sports drinks with less amount of carbohydrates.
- It is better to be aware of your water intake on regular basis instead of feeling weak and dehydrated after exercise. Be conscious about it.
- Weigh yourself before and after completion of exercise and measure the fluid you have lost.
- If one has heavy workout exercise planned then they can also include electrolyte and glucose in their fluid intake. Having sips of lime water with little salt and glucose added is also a good idea.
If some questions have arisen in your mind, feel free to ask them, we are here to solve all your doubts!