Due to sedentary lifestyle, increased pollution, lack of personal hygiene and decreased immunity people are getting infected very easily. In such a situation it would be a great challenge to protect yourself and your dear ones from infections. By making some simple behavioural changes, you can easily prevent the spread of infections.
Here are top 10 things you must know to prevent infections:
1. Wash your hands frequently – Washing helps in removing the germs from your hands. It is recommended to wash your hands vigorously and thoroughly with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Wash your hands especially before cooking and eating. And also, after you have been to toilet, shaking hands, touching door handles, light switches, handrails in public places or handling pets. Use an alcohol based sanitizer when you are unable to wash your hands.
2. Maintain a personal hygiene – Changing your clothes at least twice a day, bathing on a daily basis, changing inner wears once or even twice a day and changing inner foot wears daily are all essential practices to ward of infections. It isn’t advisable to share your personal items like toothbrushes, razors, towels, handkerchiefs with other family members to avoid cross infections.
3. Use healthy and safe cooking practices – Wash all the vegetables and fruits well before eating them. Clean the cutting boards and food preparation areas with soap and water and allow them to dry thoroughly. Keep raw food away from cooked food. Do not let cooked food sit at room temperature too long. Promptly refrigerate the food within two hours of cooking. Low temperatures slow down reproduction of bacteria. Never eat spoiled food or food that has an unpleasant smell or taste.
4. Get vaccinated – The only way one can be safe from diseases like yellow fever, rubella, typhoid, mumps etc is getting duly vaccinated. Consult your doctor for the vaccines that are must for you.
5. Follow safe sexual practices – Sharing food, drinks, bed space or using same utensils is risky as transmission of communicable diseases is tripled by these activities. Transfer of infections from bacteria or viruses (Sexually transmitted diseases) can be easily prevented by being smart about safe sex (using condoms).
6. Be safe from pets – Zoonotic diseases are infections that spread from animal. If you have a pet, make sure that they get regular check up and that their vaccinations are up to date. Educate your child to always wash their hands thoroughly after playing with pets. Clean the litter box frequently to avoid infections from animal faeces.
7. Watch the news – Being aware of the current events around can help you to make correct decisions about travelling out or going out within the city. News about any infectious outbreak, supply of contaminated water or vegetables, food poisoning in some areas can help you to get an idea about healthy optional choices and be infection free and keep most of the diseases at bay.
8. Exercise regularly and breathe in fresh air – Exercise helps to boost the immune system. Avoid smoky and dusty environment. Avoid walking barefoot outside your home or swimming in water contaminated with faeces.
9. Protect yourself and others – Cover your mouth while coughing or sneezing with your arm, sleeve or crook of the elbow rather than your hands. Many microbes prefer the warm and moist environment inside your nose and other mucous covered areas like eyes and mouth. Infections can be easily prevented by avoiding touching these areas. Avoid insect bites by using window screens, netting, insect repellents as many viral, protozoal, bacterial infections are transmitted by insect bites from mosquitoes, fleas, flies and ticks. Avoid touching any sores, faeces or body fluids from sick person.
10. Travel smartly – Update with all immunizations that are required for your travel destination. Be aware whether your travel destination is known for any communicable disease. And take precautions accordingly. Prefer well cooked food instead of raw food.