Vitamin C a water soluble nutrient is required by all of us for various process of the body. When suffering from cold generally people don’t prefer taking vitamin C rich foods, but the fact is that Vitamin C makes the immune system healthy and helps in fighting with cold. Being a powerful antioxidant it reduces the oxidative stress in the body and lowers the risk of cancer.
- Citrus fruits: Citrus fruits mainly amla, oranges, mousambi, lemon, tomatoe are known to be the richest source of vitamin C. Even the peel of the orange is a good source of Vitamin C.
- Red and green chilli: To make any of the dishes spicy and vitamin C rich green and red chilli are the best options .Ripened green chilli in the form of red chilli has increased vitamin C content. Adding red and green chili to soup, curry or to any dish makes it good in antioxidant.
- Bell peppers: A very common part of pasta and pizza ,the bell peppers are a very good source of Vitamin C. Depending on the colour the concentration of vitamin C varies. Red and yellow provide a good amount whereas green bell peppers provide comparatively lesser amount of Vitamin C.
- Green leafy vegetables: Green leafy vegetable like cabbage, lettuce, spinach, kale, mustard greens, broccoli, brussel sprouts are all great vitamin C rich foods that can be a part of the diet to fulfill the daily requirements of Vitamin C. Along with vitamin C they provide enough fiber to keep the digestive system healthy.
- Guava: Guava, a fruit rich in fiber, folic acid and potassium is also one of the good source of vitamin C. Having one guava daily in the diet fulfills twice the daily needs of vitamin C.
- Strawberry: Strawberry are extremely high in Vitamin C content. Strawberries are one of the healthiest berries responsible for protecting the heart from excess LDL cholesterol. A good one to be a part of your diet as an addition to your desert or drink or as a fruit.
- Kiwi: Kiwifruit is an exceptional source of the antioxidant power of vitamin C and helps to boost the immune system and also prevent cataract,cancer , heart disease.It can be a part of your salad.
- Melons: Almost all the varieties of melons , from cantelope to water melons are a good source of vitamin C. Prefer buying the whole melon as the ones kept exposed to the air their vitamin C gets oxidized.
- Pineapple: A fruit helpful in reducing weight, a remedy to upset stomach and constipation is a good source of Vitamin C. Only fresh pineapple should be a part of the diet.
- Potatoes and sweet potatoes: A very common ingredient of the daily diet potatoes are also a very good source of vitamin C along with high calories. Sweet potato a great source of carotenoids is rich in vitamin C .
Make one or the other food of this list a part of you daily diet and stay healthy.