Nutrition is the science of food and commodities that provide essential compounds. Good nutrition is the back bone of health and well being. One needs to focus on his/her daily dietary intake to make sure that optimal nutritional level. There are following rule one must keep in mind for good nutrition:
- Never skip breakfast: breakfast is important meal of the day. One your busy routine do not forget to include breakfast. It gives your energy to start off the day. Eating regular breakfast helps in losing weight, improving concentration etc.
- Small and frequent meals: eat after every 2-3 hrs. Our body takes 3 hrs on average to digest ingested food. Small and frequent meals help in muscle metabolism. Do not exceed your meals more than 6-8 per day
- Include high protein foods in each meal: high protein foods are of prime importance. We have a diet pattern which is high in carbs. One must pay attention to proteins. Include milk and milk products, soy products, lean chicken, fish etc
- Fresh vegetables:every meal must contain fresh vegetables. They provide vital minerals and vitamins. Vegetables are high in
fiber. Fiber gives satiety and improves digestion.
- Avoid high carb food: simple carbs are present in sugar, desserts; bakery products etc. These must be avoided. Consume more of complex carbs coming from fruits, whole cereals, millets, brown rice etc.
- Avoid high calorie drinks: sugary drinks including sports drinks, carbonated beverages must be avoided. They add on to calories. Include fresh fruit juices in place of them.
- Ditch all processed food: processed foods contain simple carbs, preservatives, food additives which have health hazards. Although they are easily available and quick to prepare, are not good for health. Go natural way. Include as many natural foods in diet as possible.
- Apply 80-20 rule: try to follow above rules 80 % of the times. 10-20% deviation is permissible. But one must make sure that deviations are not exceeded.
- Vitamin and mineral supplements: if you feel you are not getting entire essential mineral and vitamins from your diet, go for supplements. Calcium and iron are two important minerals for women. One take help of experts before taking any supplement.
- Cooking oil: Include essential fatty acids coming from nuts and oil seeds, fish etc. one can use combination of oil. Eg – rice bran with safflower oil, olive oil etc.
- Portion distortion: snacks such as burgers, pizza etc have increased their serving sizes over the period of time. . Since 1977, hamburgers have increased by 97 calories, French fries by 68 calories, and Mexican foods by 133 calories, according to analysis of the Nationwide Food Consumption Survey.
Good nutrition pays vital role in healthful life. It all depends on the choices made. It is in your hand to make difference in your life!