We all are aware of the most common disease around us. It is nothing but diabetes! According to the latest statistics, 384 million people are affected with diabetes all around the world in 2012-2013 and 63 million are found in India. Predictions say till 2030, it will be the 7th leading cause of death.
Looking at its spread, everyone must know the following quick facts about diabetes:
1.There are 3 main types of diabetes. Type 1 is mostly seen in kids and type 2 in adults and another type is pregnancy related (gestational diabetes).
2. Type 2 is found 90% of people all over the world.
3. Moreover 80% of diabetic patients are found in low or middle income countries like India, China etc.
4. Type 2 diabetes is mostly found in the age group of 40-59 years but this age is coming down due to rapid lifestyle transition.
5. Major causes of it are obesity, unhealthy diet, family history diabetes, stress, physical inactivity etc.
6. Majority of times its symptoms are not seen but the general symptoms are excessive thirst and hunger, unexpected weight loss, delay in healing of wounds etc.
7. Organs affected by diabetes are heart, kidney, eyes and nerves.
8. It is the leading cause of preventable blindness, amputations and kidney failure.
9. In the year 2012, 471 billion US dollars were spent due to diabetes.
10. Diabetes cannot be cured but it can definitely be prevented with lifestyle modification.
These are some basic facts. If you are willing to know more or have some questions then feel free to ask them here..!