Rising temperatures and quenching heat affect stamina and energy level. Water loss due to increased perspiration and temperatures affect health. Proper nutrition and health care is very important to avoid health issues. One can try these refreshing foods to keep up the energy levels and stamina:
• Gooseberry (Amla): Amla is used since many years in India. It is rich source of vitamin C. Rising temperature increases pulse rate, general discomfort and loss of stamina. Studies suggest that increased consumption of vitamin c helps in adjusting with heat. Amla can be consumed in candy form, syrup, sharbat, beverage, juice etc. Vitamin C present in amala is potent and do not get destroyed.
• Apricot: Power house of iron, vitamin C, potassium and iron. Apricot helps in dealing with skin problems caused during summer season. Acne and skin pigmentation can be avoided with regular consumption of apricot.
• Buttermilk: Favorite beverage to beat summer heat and boost digestion. Glass of buttermilk will help in hydration and maintain energy levels. It is best replacement for soda and aerated drinks which are loaded with sugar.
• Cardamom (Elaichi) : Indian spice used in many preparations helps in cooling down the heat effect. Elaichi used in tea may help in relieving heat. It is commonly used in Ayurveda for different purpose.
• Green mango: Green mangoes abundantly used in India offer refreshment in quenching heat. Traditionally there are many preparations using green mango. Its combination with jiggery is an ideal beverage to offer in sunny noon.
• Melons: watermelon contains 90% water which helps in hydration. Regular consumption of watermelon is very important. Rich in iron, potassium, beta carotene helps in kidney stones and urine infections. It can also be drunk as juice.
• Coconut water: natural water offering hydration in summer time is must have. One can go for one glass of coconut water per day to maintain good health. It is rich source of potassium.
• Cucumber: Important part of summer salad. Cooling cucumber makes great salad for summer. Its antioxidant properties are being studied to fight against cardiovascular diseases and cancer. Combining it with curd makes delicious dishes.
• Mint: Mint widely used in India, Middle East and Europe is famous for its cooling properties. Its rich aroma and soothing flavor imparts taste to the food. Addition of mint leaves to buttermilk, lemon water aids its taste and cooling effect.
• Water: Water is a very important nutrient in our diet. One must replenish water loss with ample supply of fresh water. Hydration is very important. Drinking 2-3 lit water per day is advisable for good health.
Make your right choice to beat the heat this summer! Staying away from bottled beverages and aerated soft drinks will help in maintaining good health.