Constipation is the most commonly seen problem in adults. Many of us experience constipation some or the other day but if the frequency increases more than occasional episodes then you must take care of your diet and lifestyle.
Simplest solution to resolve constipation is adding more of fibres in your diet. Fibres help you by adding roughage to your food and thus clear motions by assisting the digestion process. So here is the list of top 10 foods which can help you get relief from Constipation.
- Fruits: All fruits are good for constipation but especially if the fruits like strawberries, cranberries, raspberries etc. Apart from them, all other fruits have comparable amount of Fibres. Eating one fruit daily can help you fulfill your daily Fibre requirements.
- Fresh vegetables: Eating fresh and raw vegetables daily gives you lots of Fibres. Cooking these vegetables may lose some of its Fibre content so if you have constipation problem, you should have raw salads and vegetables daily in your meal.
- Whole grain and cereals: Cereals like Oats, whole wheat or wheat flakes, Bajara, Jowar etc can add good amount of fibres in your diet. For instance, brown rice is always preferred over white rice due to its high Fibre content.
- Dry fruits and nuts: Dry fruits such as dates, figs, prunes, raisins, apricots etc are also useful in relieving constipation. These dry fruits specially prunes not only add to the fibre content but also have ‘Sorbitol’ which acts as a natural laxative.
- Legumes: Daily cup of beans or sprouts can give twice the fibres than a bowl of raw vegetables. Making it a regular part of your diet can help you to get rid of constipation.
- Popcorns and other puffs: Popcorns and other whole grain puffs give fewer calories and good amount of fibres. If you restrict salt and butter in those Popcorns and puffs, it will be a healthy snack for constipation.
- Yogurt and buttermilk: Cultured or fermented products provides good amount of probiotic products which in turn help in adding healthy digestive enzymes and thus relieve constipation.
- Flax Seeds: Flax seeds are not only good for hearts but also assist you in relieving constipation if you have it in whole seed form.
- Dark Chocolates: Dark chocolates are rich in Magnesium which relaxes digestive tract muscles and smoothens the digestion process.
- Water: Though water is not a food but for constipation along with all these food stuff, plenty of water is a must. Often neglected but very important nutrient for Constipation!