Aging is an inevitable process but yes, we can certainly slow down this process with the help of a healthy lifestyle. These secrets will help lead a long & healthier life:
1. Take diet rich in Omega 3 fats: Fish, almonds, walnuts, flaxseeds, soybeans etc. are packed with omega 3 fatty acids. Omega 3 fats reduce inflammatory processes in body & slow down brain cell degeneration. It is a smart choice to include early in the morning or in between two meals.
2. Have plenty of antioxidants: Fresh fruits (especially Amla, Guava, Orange, Sweet lime, lemon, Papaya, Strawberries), vegetables (carrot, tomato, fresh green leafy vegetables) & raw sprouts are rich sources of antioxidants like vitamin A, C & E. Antioxidants remove toxins from our body which are generally produced as byproducts of metabolism. Hence they are rejuvenating. Proper care should be takes as heat & excessive processing destroy these antioxidants.
3. Exercise daily: Exercise slows down aging process, improves co-ordination, stamina, muscle mass, bone density; hence prevents frequent falls & fractures. Exercise for minimum of 30 minutes daily. Make it a habit!
4. Challenge your brain: Brain needs regular exercise for its smooth functioning. Challenge your brain with some memory games or mathematical problems to enhance & maintain its abilities. Learn something new, read, have a practice to recollect & pen down your memories. Have some hobby – it enhances sense of well being.
5. Keep yourself well-hydrated: Drink at least 8-10 glasses of water every day.
6. Get adequate sleep: On an average a person needs 8 hours of sleep throughout the day. Inadequate sleep makes you less peaceful, less productive & irritable. It contributes to stress & accelerates aging.
7. Massage away tensions: Body massage relaxes body as well as mind. Some stretching movements & steam bath also helps.
8. Avoid excessive intake of tea, coffee & carbonated beverages: Caffeine & tannins present in these beverages are like toxins. Stay away from them; instead have green tea.
9. Keep addictions at bay: Smoking, tobacco consumption hastens aging process. Stay away from nicotine!
10. Achieve & maintain your ideal body weight: With the help of proper diet & exercise, go closer to your ideal weight. Excess weight invites diseases like diabetes, high blood pressure, heart diseases etc. These in turn affect longevity & quality of life.