Hot tomato pepper rasam is a great starter for dinner. It is low in calories and rich in vitamin A as well as vitamin C.
Ingredients for Tomato Pepper Rasam:
- 1 cup tomatoes chopped
- 2 cup tomato puree
- 1 cup tamarind pulp
- 1 tbsp. garlic chopped
- 1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper crushed
- 1/4 tsp. red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp. coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp. refined oil
- A pinch of asafoetida
- 12 to 15 curry leaves
- 10 coriander leaves (for garnishing)
- Salt to taste
Serves – 2-3
Method for Tomato Pepper Rasam:
- In a thick bottom pan, heat the oil and crackle cumin seeds.
- Add curry leaves and chopped garlic.
- Sauté garlic till slightly brown.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, sauté till it is fully cooked and oil oozes out.
- Add dry spices — turmeric, red chilli powder and coriander powder, a large pinch of salt and asafoetida.
- Sauté well to get a nice aroma and add tomato puree.
- Add approximately one-litre water and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Add crushed peppercorns.
- Strain with a thick sieve to remove most of the coarse and large particles.
- Check seasoning and serve hot garnished with chopped coriander leaves.