FREQUENCY OF MEAL
- Ø Have small and frequent meals.
- Ø Eat your meal after every 3 hours; it helps to maintain blood sugar levels.
- Ø If you are on insulin, make sure you have three proper meals with light snacks in between.
- Ø Have bed time snacks such as a glass of milk at night. It will help to control your sugar levels in the night and early morning.
- Ø Do not eat fast – chew your food well before you swallow.
- Ø Drink a lot of water that will help flush the toxins off your system.
- Ø Include whole grains and cereals to your diet such as broken wheat, oats, brown rice, jowar, ragi (nachni).
- Ø Have brown rice instead of having white rice
- Ø You can have ½ katori of brown rice daily in the form of pulav, daliya, khichdi.
- Ø Do not sieve the flour.
- Ø Have cows milk instead of having buffalo’s milk as it has less fat content
- Ø Have low fat milk products such as low fat milk, paneer, buttermilk.
- Ø Include pulses, legumes and sprouts in your diet.
- Ø In stead of having mutton have leaned fish, baked or grilled chicken.
- Ø Have egg white instead of having whole egg.
FRUITS AND VEGETABLES
- Ø Have lots of salads in your meal such as cucumber, carrot, tomato, onion.
- Ø Include fruits to your diet.
- Ø Have fruits with out peeling the cover so that it will improve your fiber intake.
- Ø Use fruits instead of adding sugar to desserts.
- Ø Have whole fruit instead of having fruit juice.
- Ø Avoid fruits such as mango, banana, sapota, grapes, and sitaphal because they tend to increase your blood sugar levels.
- Ø Do not eat fruit with your meal; it should be eaten in between two meals.
- Ø Food plate should look like-
- Ø Include 2 tsp of fenugreek seeds (methi Dana) daily to your diet as it helps to maintain blood sugar levels. You can use it in a powdered form mix it in buttermilk/ dal/sabji or it can be soaked in water like sprouts and make usal out of it.
- Ø Have 2 tsp of flaxseeds (jawas) daily in the form of chutney. It helps to reduce blood sugar levels and also contains essential fatty acids which are good for your heart.
- Ø Garlic also helps to control your cholesterol as well as blood sugar levels.
OILS AND SUGARS
- Ø Avoid having sugar, sugar products, jaggery, sweets because they contain simple carbohydrates which immediately increase blood sugar levels.
- Ø Avoid having glucose biscuits or cream biscuits.
- Ø Avoid frying you food, instead of frying bake the food or roast it.
- Ø Have nuts such as almonds, walnuts as they content omega 3 fatty acids.
- Ø Instead of having those have healthier biscuits such as oats, high fiber marrie biscuits, and ragi biscuits.
- Ø Avoid having processed food such as Maggie/ pasta/ because they content Maida in it which is simple carbohydrate which increases your BSL.
- Ø Whenever you buy packed product from the market check for sugar content.