Just few days before one of my client who was on weight reduction program came for the follow up. He was very sincere and got excellent results due to perfect diet and exercise program advised to him. As he wanted to start his Ramadan fast he was worried about how to maintain his weight during this ramadan period. So rather than giving fixed menu I gave him few healthy tips and healthy options to choose according the convenience.
Healthy Tips for Ramadan:
1) Early Morning Meal: It is the most important meal of the day as it helps in keeping your energy levels up during the day. Many a times people think that eating too much at this time helps you to fight hunger during full day. But it is of no help, such heavy meals land up in stomach problems, heaviness and bloating.
- Do not skip this meal with reason of not having appetite at this time. It is necessary to maintain your energy levels throughout day.
- Prefer complex carbohydrate sources such as Chapati, bread, any cereals, whole grains etc which comes in bonding with fiber, so takes longer time for digestion and breakdown so supplies you fuel during you fasting hours.
- Avoid simple carbohydrate sources such as rice, potato, maida etc which is used up rapidly by the body.
- Always have any protein source in the meal like Milk & milk products, Egg, lean meat along with fruits and vegetables to keep you active and fresh throughout the day.
- Try to sleep early in night and get up as early as possible, atleast 60-90 minutes before your meal to have your digestion process properly.
2) Evening Meal: It is the first meal taken after your long fast. So do not overindulge in food whatever you get. Initially start with any simple carbohydrate sources to give you immediate energy levels. So any Lemon sharbat, any fruit juices, dates, candies, soups etc gives you instant energy levels and also quenches your thirst. Avoid having heavy meals immediately after your fast, give yourself some time.
- Avoid indulging into cold drinks, samosa, pakoras, rolls or any fried item,
- Keep a two hours gap between evening meal and your dinner. Otherwise you might impose stomach problems or bloating.
- Desserts are not recommended as it makes you hungry early and adds to your calorie content.
- Take a proper balanced dinner with lots of vegetables, brown rice and chapatti. Avoid late dinners.
- In non- vegetarian foods prefer lean chicken and fish only. Restrict the intake of Red meat and organ meat.
- Always leave the table first instead of waiting for others to be done. As longer you sit, more you eat!
3) Do Not Forget To Exercise: You cannot pack your shoes only because its Ramadan! Adjust your exercise timings according to your suitability. However reduce the intensity of your exercise regime to avoid exhaustion.