Tips Diabetes, Gestational Diabetes Melitus (GDM ) is diabetes first diagnosed during pregnancy. Uncontrolled blood glucose levels can create problems for a mother as well as her baby. GDM can be treated by following a good lifestyle including a meal plan that focuses on balanced diet and healthy snacks.
Healthy food choices will help control blood glucose levels.
Following are important points to consider-
- Consult a qualified nutritionist to design a healthy meal plan.
- Have your meals on time. Do not skip meals.
- Take healthy snacks in the middle of every major meal.
- Eat a variety of food ( fruits , vegetables, protein, dairy, whole grains)
- Food portion control – do not take large amounts of the food at a time.
- Gain appropriate weight during pregnancy as per the doctor’s advice.
- Regular physical activity like walking, and light exercises would help control sugar.
- Avoid food high in sugar.
- Avoid flavored yogurt , ice creams, juice, dried fruit, bakery food, candy.
- Avoid fatty food like samosa , kachori , pakoda, chips, burgers, pizza etc.
- Avoid crackers, soft drinks like cola ,coke .
- Avoid canned and processed foods.
Tips For Gestational Diabetes
Sample Meal Plan For Women With GDM
* Breakfast:- Boiled egg – 1 + Whole grain bread with avocado dressing or peanut butter OR Sprout chilla with chutney OR Quinoa/ Oats with veggies – 1 bowl.
* Mid Morning snack:- Apple (small) / green smoothie / strawberries / roasted makhana.
* Lunch:- Jowar bhakri + Salad + Leafy vegetable + Butter milk / curd + chickpea curry 1 bowl.
*Evening snacks:- Chiwda namkeen (homemade) / seasonal fruit – 1.
* Dinner:- Quinoa + Veg soup -1 bowl + Cooked broccoli + mixed sprouts.