The exciting noodle- like appearance of vermicelli in Sevaiyan Pulao really works well making it a hot favourite dish of kids. Kids love to play around with the long, slippery strands of the semolina vermicelli, while moms are content that a lot of veggies are also going in with it.
Ingredients for Sevaiyan Pulao:
- Vermicelli (sevaiyan) 1 cup
- Green peas, grated carrot, chopped onion – ¼ cup each
- Garam masala and chilli powder – ½ tsp each
- Haldi – ¼ tsp, Jeera- 1 tsp
- Oil – 1 tsp, Ghee – 1 ½ tsp
- Cardamom, Clove – 1 each
- Cinnamon – 1 small stick
- Lemon juice – 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
Serves : 2
- Heat the oil in a deep non stick kadhai, add the vermicelli into it and saute on medium flame for 5 minutes or till light brown in color. Remove and keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a same non stick kadhai and add jeera, cinnamom, cardamom and clove and saute it for a few seconds.
- Add chopped onions and saute it when it becomes transparent, then add carrot and green peas and saute it on a medium flame for another few minutes.
- Add chili powder, turmeric powder, garam masala and salt and saute it for 30 more seconds.
- Add 1 cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 minutes, while stirring occasio
- Add the vermicelli and mix well, cover it with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 5 to 6 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the lemon juice and mix well
- Discard the clove, cinnamom, cardamon from the Sevaiyan Pulao. Allow it to cool completely and pack in an air tight tiffin box.
It is easy and quick to make on busy mornings, and stay fresh in the tiffin box for at least 5 hours. Assorted veggies, apt spices and garam masala too make the Sevaiyan Pulao not only visually appealing but a real treat to the taste buds too. It is easy to digest and a balanced dish.