Popeye Rice With Red Ridinghood Raita is a treat to the eyes and tastebuds with its bright colours and interesting combination of flavours.
Ingredients for Popeye Rice:
- Spinach puree – ¾ cup
- Chopped mixed vegetables (carrot, peas, cauliflower etc)- boil them along with the rice
- Finely chopped onions – ½ cup
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 3 tbsp chopped cashewnuts
- 2 tsp oil/ ghee
- 2 tsp garlic paste
- 2 tsp ginger green chilli paste
- 1 stick cinnamon, 2 cloves, 1 tsp cumin seeds
- A pinch turmeric and red chilli powder
- A pinch garam masala
- Salt to taste
- Heat the oil/ ghee in a broad non-stick pan, add the cinnamon, cloves and cumin seeds.
- As the seeds crackle, add the garlic paste, ginger-green chilli paste and onions and sauté till the onions are cooked, while stirring continuously.
- Add the spinach puree, salt, turmeric powder, chilli powder and garam masala and sauté for few seconds.
- Add the rice, vegetables and cashewnuts toss gently well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.Serve hot.
- FunTip: To make the Red Ridinghood Raita, add grated vegetables like cucumber, carrot and cabbage to whisked curd. Add some salt and mix well. To add some fun and colour, simply grate some boiled beetroot to the raita and mix well. Chill it for a while and pack it along with green POPEYE RICE.
Popeye’s favourite spinach beautifully combined with rice and vegetables to make an iron loaded packlunch. A horde of nutrients like B-complex vitamins, carbohydrates, fibre, vitamin A and calcium builds haemoglobin, boost kids’ health, improves concentration and memory and imparts strength. Beetroot can beat anaemia while adding fun and colour to the protein rich raita.