Popping a painkillers for small problems has become a habit for most of people. But do you know how it can affect your heart health?Let’s know about what studies say about these painkillers.
Heart Risk warning Over Painkiller ( Diclofenac)
- Study shows, widely used painkiller like Diclofenac , Ibuprofen in high doses increase the risk of heart disease.
- Millions of people take Diclofenac for range of conditions including Arthritis , headache , backache.
- One research carried out by Oxford shows that high dose of NSAIDs increase the risk of Heart attack.
- For Every 1000 people with a moderate risk of heart disease allocated to one year of treatment with high dose of Diclofenac (150 mg daily) or Ibuprofen (2400 mg) , about three would experience an avoidable heart attack, of which one would be fatal. The study also found that NSAIDs double the risk of heart failure.
- The Medicines & Healthcare Products regulatory Agency ( MHRA) the drug should not be used by people with serious underlying heart conditions. People with heart problems have been advised to stop using one of the most prescribed drugs in the UK .
Though the researches did not cover India, analysis shows that Diclofenac ranked high in cardiovascular risk . That’s why most cardiologist from India have opposed the inclusion of painkiller – Diclofenac, in the list of essential medicines (NLEM) as against safer drugs like Naproxen .
If you are heart patient & are on regular treatment of such painkillers, feel free to write here for second opinion .