As part of our cardiovascular initiatives and activities with Infosys Pune, their employees from across India were invited to ask us questions related to heart and healthcare. It was a great experience for us to have been able to resolve their queries and thought it
will be best if we share these QnAs with all our readers of the blog so some of their common queries could also get solved in the process.
1. Hello Doc,I do not have any family history of heart problems. At what age (ideally and practically) should I start taking extra care of my health so that I do not face any heart related problems? Also, please give some simple health tips which I can follow in daily life.
Well no family history is just one of the risk factor which is less. We face stress, exertion, deranged BMI, obesity or addictions like alcohol or smoking also as risk factors. We need to have regular check up after esp. 35 yrs. Regular exercise , maintain wt , stress relief initiatives & no addictions , that’s what we need to implement
2. How serious is mildly dilated RA RV?
It is often seen with lung diseases. We need to do pulmonary function test to come to a conclusion. RV pressure is important to know.
3. Hi Doctor, I’ am having hypertension & been advised on telsartan 40 once in a day after breakfast… is it good to start on BP pill so early I’m 34 years?
Take it to maintain BP. Concentrate on diet, weight & Exercise, may be you can be successful in treating hypertension in non pharmacological way considering your age.
4. Hello.. some months back i went for a BP chek up and it was quite high that time 180/120. Also, the doctor reported something “Mild Sinus Bradicardia” and told that my heart beat are at a lower rate 45-48bpm. Are these two related???. I have been going thru BP medication since then and now its abt 140/90. If BP comes 2 normal is it OK???? Should I consult any1 regarding 2nd problem as well???
As long as you don’t have symptoms like syncope or fainting, you need not worry about low pulse rate. Good you are taking regular treatment. Try to have BP below 130/85
5. Hi Doctor Everyday for what time duration should 1 do cardio workout?
45 min a day , 3 times a week
6. Can heart blockages occur at young age?
Before 35 yrs , its rare
7. Hi Doctor, I used to smoke occassionally ie., like three or 4 cigarettes a week, or sometimes not that also..I would try hard to control myself from my urge to smoke. But sometimes, I could not resist from it due to any tension in mind. How much will this kind of smoking affect me regarding heart disease?
It will increase risk of high BP , heart attack besides other system damages like lung cancer .Better quit .
8. Hi doctor, I have a total cholesterol of 231 mg and the HDL is around 50 mg. I have heard that the ideal ratio of the 2 numbers should be below 4.5. Can you please advise what are the risks with this and what should be done to improve the HDL and lower the total cholesterol
HDL is fairly good , not very much remedies to improve its level . Concentrate on total cholesterol & maintain it below 200
9. Hi, I just not got my BP checked and it came as 140/86. Is it in normal limit or do I need to take any precautions or something?
It seems normal
10. hi, is it fine to do cardio exercises along with weight training?
11. Hi Doc, My father is 56 , he is on High BP ,he is advised to take blood pressure pills. Is it a necessary to take those pills life longs? Does it guarantee that no Cardiac arrest will happen.
There is nothing like guarantee esp in heart patients .It is advisable to take it regularly , it will prevent complications like heart attack .
12. Extension to earlier question ( I have mild hypertension 90/160), can I continue swimming?
13. Hi i was getting frequent chest pains about 5-6 years back. I carried out all tests like ECG, color dopler etc but all were normal. It stopped after few months. Recently i am getting similar pains in my chest frequently. To describe them it pains in lower part of my chest in left side and it can happen any time. I cannot take a deep breath till the time its paining it attempt to take deep breath it pains more. Any suggestion?
You did not mention your age. Screening tests will help you.
14. If I have hypertension is the chances of having heart attack high.
Uncontrolled hypertension increases risk for heart attack.
15. At times when I get up after sleep my heartbeat raises which leads to dizziness. Do I suffer from any heart disease, what should I do to make things normal.
These are not related to heart diseases.
(This is part 1 of the series of Question and Answers, more will be posted soon)