As a Diet Expert, daily we have to deal with variety of most commonly seen lifestyle related disorders which need Total Lifestyle Modification program. But now-a-days we observe many female clients coming to us to shed their extra weight in order to conceive. So when we saw the trend and studied it, we found out that this infertility and weight management problem is due to a hormonal disorder called PCOD (Polycystic Ovarian Disease / Syndrome). So lifestyle modification has become an integral part of PCOD treatment.
PCOD/ PCOS is most commonly seen hormonal disorder in females which is characterized by multiple cysts (fluid filled sacs) in the ovaries. This leads to abnormal hormonal levels which results in irregular menses, infertility and masculine changes in females. Symptoms for PCOS includes irregular menses, weight gain with difficulty in losing weight, acne, dandruff, excessive hair growth on face, back, thinning of hairs and infertility etc.
Irregular and faulty food habits, lack of exercise, sedentary jobs, Stress levels and addictions are the chief risk factors for PCOD. If this is not controlled, then in long term it can lead to Heart problems, Dyslipidemia, Diabetes, Hypertension and infertility. So Total Lifestyle Modification is the key for successful medical treatment in PCOD.
Factors to be consider for Lifestyle Modification:
- Obesity: Obesity or constant weight gain is the most common feature of PCOD. Even being on strict diet these clients find it to be difficult to lose weight. Weight loss with proper diet and exercise works beneficial in them with advantage of;
- Regularizing periods
- Stabilizing hormone levels
- Improves insulin sensitivity which reduces risk for diabetes
- Blood cholesterol control, reduces heart disease risk
2. Faulty Food habits:The Chief culprit for majority of health problems is faulty and irregular food habits. To describe this best, there is a phrase, ‘whatever is good for your Taste, Shows on your waist’. Eating more outside foods or easy to cook i.e Fast Foods affected mass of people around.
Diet works wonder in PCOC cases. Restricting simple carbohydrates and eating good quality proteins not only helps in shedding extra weight but also keeps your sugars under control. Basically eating Balanced and nutritious food in prescribed amount is what needed in them.
3. Addictions: Smoking and drinking habits can worsen the present condition. It not only affects your lungs but ultimately it increases your risk for Heart diseases. So quitting these habits as soon as possible is good to keep PCOD under control.
4. Exercise:‘Don’t have time to exercise’ is the most common excuse given by every individual. Exercising not only aids in weight loss but also keeps your sugars and blood pressure under control. It is must to keep your physical and mental fitness required.
5. Stress: De-stressing one-self in any form is considered under PCOS treatment. Because high stress level can also affects your hormonal balance.
Need Assistance In Managing Your PCOD? Get Guidance From Specialized Dietitians Women Care Plan