Hypothyroidism is a very common health issue in Indians. About 42 million people in India are suffering from hypothyroidism and numbers are still rising. One of the major reasons is the shift in lifestyle patterns.
Hypothyroidism can be reversed with lifestyle modification i.e. by adopting a healthy lifestyle. It does not mean one can stop taking medicines but improvement in lifestyle may help dose reduction of the medication. Reduction in the dose or discontinuation of the medication should only be done in consultation with the doctor.
Below are few lifestyle do’s and don’ts which can be helpful in case of hypothyroidism
Lifestyle Do’s for hypothyroidism
Balance your nutrition; don’t go for any fad diets.
- Have small, frequent, and well-planned meals. Make a menu plan for a week and paste it on your fridge to save time.
- Use correct oil – use unrefined cold pressed coconut oil/olive oil/rice bran oil (2-3 tsp/day). You can also cook your food in it. It works wonders.
- Have food high in vitamins and minerals (seasonal fruits and vegetables).
- Have whole grains like whole wheat, brown rice, Jowar, Oats etc.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Include iodized salt in the diet.
- Have soaked Tukmaria (sabja) seeds (1 tsp) daily.
- Include wheatgrass juice, ginger tea, turmeric tea, barley water, coconut water in your diet.
- Slow down your eating speed
- Plan your workout in three patterns: Aerobic (Walking, Jogging, Running, Zumba or any dance style etc), Strengthening (Push ups, pull ups, Planks etc) and Flexibility (Basic stretches, Yoga etc)
- Join a hobby class like music, dance, playing any instruments it will act as a stress buster
- Meditation will help you heal. There are many apps which provide you with meditation music/ instructions.
- Sleep is a very important factor for your body to restore. Sleep at least 7-8 hours. If you have problems falling asleep you can have a cup of warm milk with nutmeg powder (1 pinch) It will help. In more serious cases you should see a doctor.
- Put your gadgets off/ silent 30 mins before going to bed
- Have plastic free kitchens. Use natural cook wear like iron, steel, earthen pots, and good quality non-stick pans.
Lifestyle Dont’s for hypothyroidism
- Avoid cruciferous vegetables like cauliflower, cabbage, radish, broccoli, and kale especially in raw form.
- Avoid refined and soya oil for cooking.
- Avoid eating soybean seeds/ soy flour and refined flours.
- Avoid junk, processed food, canned foods.
- Limit intake of sugar, sweets and sugary drinks like carbonated drinks and juices
- Limit intake of caffeine and alcohol
- Stress has a direct impact on thyroid so try to manage your stress. For this, you need to first recognize your stress causing factors and then start working on it. Stress cannot be avoided but we can definitely manage.
- Artificial sweetener – Aspartame can cause inflammation to the thyroid gland. Avoid aspartame always have a habit of reading a food label
“When diet is wrong, Medicines is of no use. When diet is correct, Medicines is of no need”