Know About Zone Diet :
Food is the staple source of energy for human being. Since ancient time traditional, locally available food was diet for citizens. But globalization brought lot of change the way human being eat food, live life and spend time. Different kind of diets are being tested by exerts to serve the health purpose. Zone diet is popularized by Biochemist Barry Sears.
Zone diet refers to “feeling alert, refreshed and full of energy.” Its main principle is proper hormonal balance. The diet is based on right carbohydrate, protein and fat ratio. It is claimed that weight gain is the root cause of diseases such as heart disease, diabetes etc. Insulin and glucagon are two hormones which need to be in balance. In this balance anti inflammatory chemicals which are similar to aspirin are released. These anti inflammatory chemicals have heart disease prevention properties.
What to include in Zone Diet?
The principle of zone diet is carbohydrates – Protein – fat ratio must be 40:30:30. In comparison to other low carb diets it is different. It gives wide spectrum of carbs to be included in diet. There are following things to consider while planning your zone diet:
- Small portion of proteins in every meal you take. 40-30 principle applies here as well. One can have one portion of protein and double portion of healthy carbs. It can be whole grain cereals, brown bread, brown rice etc. if you want to go for simple carbs like sweets / sugar / refined flour then the portion size would be half.
- Include protein in every meal. Take small and frequent meals throughout the day. Go from low fat protein such as white meat, egg white, pulses, lentil, etc.
- Include 30 % of fat daily. Sears suggest including fats such as olive oil, macadamia nuts, avocado etc.
- Fresh vegetables and fruits are an important part of the diet.
- Drink 8 to 12 glasses of water daily. It helps in removing toxins from body and aid metabolism.
How Zone diet works?
Zone diet mainly works on hormonal balance. It is achieved with the help of right combination of carbohydrates and proteins in every meal. 30-40 ratio helps in maintaining insulin levels and thus glucagon levels. Appropriate levels of anti inflammatory chemicals in blood act as disease prevention.
Selection of carbs makes significant difference in weight. High protein foods are good for weight loss. At the same time low fat high protein foods must be selected.
Expert’s suggestion about Zone Diet:
There is mixed review about Zone diet by nutrition experts. Nutritionists use mixed principles of zone diet along with other techniques for weight loss.