Vitamin C is an important vitamin in our diet. Though it plays multiple roles, it has significant role in immune functioning.
Vitamin C has come in limelight since the COVID-19 epidemic has begun! People are taking vitamin C supplements blindly in anticipation that it will boost immunity levels drastically.
But one must remember that vitamin C is a water soluble vitamin. It cannot be stored in body if taken in excess. Excess of this vitamin simply removes it out of the body through urine! Our body cannot synthesize this vitamin. Therefore it is important to take required amount of vitamin C in daily diet.
How to get enough vitamin C daily through diet?
1. Vitamin C is present in almost all fresh fruits and vegetables. Daily total 5 servings of fresh vegetables, fruits and salads can help one obtain enough of this vitamin.
2. Make sure that you include at least 1 serving of fruit and vegetable from vitamin C rich group. Here is the list of fruits and vegetables rich in C vitamin.
- Raw mango (kairi)
- Bell paper
3. Vitamin C is destroyed at high temperatures. Therefore eat these fruits and vegetables immediately after cutting and vegetables without / with minimal cooking.
4. When fresh fruits and vegetables are not accessible, you can-
- Have chyavanprash, Amla supari, amla jam (moravla), lime/amla pickle
- Store lime juice in refrigerator when limes are available (it remains good for months if stored in deep freezer). You can use it when fresh limes are not available.
- Fresh sprouts are also good source of vitamin C and can be eaten during scarcity of fruits and vegetables.