The ASSOCHAM report 2012 said that because of the unhealthy lifestyle , 78% people are facing the problem of Insomnia.
People sleeping less than 6 hours a day are at a higher risk for lifestyle diseases. Inadequate sleep is not just an annoying fact of life. Studies show it raises the risk of cardiovacular disease. Inadequate sleep appears to contribute to cardiovascular disease and cardiovascular disease may disturb your sleep. This becomes a visciuos cycle.
Poor sleep gets you high blood pressure , atherosclerosis , heart attack , heart failure, stroke , diabetes , and obesity. Poor sleep increases c-reactive protein indicating inflammation. Inflammation is the way body reacts to injury or infection or disease which may be part of the reason poor sleep affecting cardiovascular system. Poor sleep also increases your stress hormones.
On the other hand symptoms related to cardiovasular disease leads to poor sleep.
Following are the ways you can improve your sleep:
- Get to bed and wake up at consistent times. Keep a consistent schedule of sleeping.
- Make sure the temperature of the bedroom is comfortable enough for you to get sleep.
- Darken the room with black-out curtains or switching off the lights.
- Treat your bedroom as special place used for sleep and sexual activity. e.g no TV in the bedroom.
- Turn off all the electronics, computers, laptops , phones etc.
- Avoid caffeine before sleeping.
- Limit alcohol intake.
- Avoid smoking.
- Exercise daily.
- Listen to relaxing music.
- Take a warm bath.
These all things will help you in having proper sleep. But always remember discuss with your doctor about your sleep regime if you are facing problems.