Nowadays everyone is getting more and more conscious about their health, especially heart health. Most of the people are aware that outside food, junk food, fried food is bad for heart health, and they should have low fat food for good heart health. But most of them are unaware about how to make low fat food at home, how we can substitute bad fats with good fats, healthy heart cooking tips etc. It is very important to know about these things in a better manner because whenever you cook any food at home you are sure about its nutritional content. So, let’s have look on heart healthy cooking tips.
Here are some Heart Healthy Cooking Tips:
- Use heart friendly oils which are lower in cholesterol, triglycerides, saturated fatty acids (bad fats) and higher in polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fatty acids (good fats).
- You can use heart friendly oils like olive oil, groundnut oil, sunflower oil, safflower oil, soy bean oil and rice bran oil.
- If you are using olive oil, always remember that only Virgin and Extra virgin olive oils can be used for low flame cooking, cannot be used for frying.
- Always use combination of heart healthy oils, for ex. You can use one type of oil for the lunch and another for the dinner. But always remember, do not mix two oils! Keep them in a separate containers.
- Quantity of oil also matters! Do not exceed 500 ml per person per month ( 3 – 4 teaspoons per day)
- Make use of non-stick cookware, oil sprays while cooking, it will help to reduce fat intake.
- Always use fresh oil while cooking. Do not reheat the used oil again and again.
- Avoid using butter, dalda, margarine, vanaspati ghee as they are high in trans fats and saturated fats.
- Instead of using whole eggs while cooking, make use of only egg whites. As, egg yolks contain cholesterol, which increases cholesterol level.
- Instead of frying food which adds on to unwanted fats, use healthy cooking methods which will cut down on fat intake. For ex: Steaming, stir frying, baking, grilling, roasting, sautéing, broiling etc.
- Soy bean contains isoflavones which are good for heart health. You can add 1 kg of soy bean flour to 5 kg of wheat flour and use this flour in your cooking.
- Use heart friendly foods in your daily cooking like, garlic, raw onions, flaxseeds, almonds, walnuts, low fat curd, soy which will help to keep heart healthy.
- Add salt after you cook your food; do not add it while cooking. Using natural flavors while cooking like using lemon, tomatoes, tamarind, curd, fruits helps to cut down on salt and improve taste of the food.
- Instead of using buffalo’s milk, use cow’s milk. And even if you are using cow’s milk, remove its cream and then use it.
- Instead of making gravy for chicken or fried chicken, always choose healthier option like roasted chicken, grilled chicken, grilled fish. Avoid using red meat, mutton, egg yolks, as they are high in fats.
Try out these easy heart healthy cooking tips in your daily cooking and keep your heart healthy.