Planning to make your kitchen a Heart Healthy Cooking Hub? Try considering these small tips and substitutes for your cooking methods. While cooking at home you must make sure of using nutritious ingredients to prepare delicious and heart healthy food.
Preparing with Oil
- Oils play a very important role in our kitchens. It won’t be surprising if you are still confused on which and how much quantity of oil should be used. Many of us are not sure about which oil is the best for our heart.
- While choosing oils use must remember that no single oil is best for heart. Using heart healthy oils like Soybean, Groundnut, Sunflower, Safflower, Rice Bran, Olive oil in combinations is proved to be beneficial. All these oils have got a different combination of Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids (good fat) which is required by our body. Using oils in combinations doesn’t mean mixing two oils together. Store two oils in two different containers.
- Use oils sprays in your kitchen to reduce the usage of oil.
- Use low saturated transfat oils for salad dressing. But also remember that they give calories, use them sparingly.
- Stay away from coconut oil and palm oil. Even if they are vegetable oils and cholesterol free, they have high saturated fat content.
Smart Alternative cooking methods
- Stir frying
All these cooking options require less or no fat for preparation. Avoid high salt seasonings.
Choosing Healthier Methods of Food Preparation
- Stock up on heart healthy recipe books for variety.
- Opt or choose lean chicken or fish (salmon and mackerel) instead of red meat as it contains more amount saturated fat.
- Make preparations using egg whites instead of whole eggs or egg yolks.
- For preparations which require dairy products, choose low fat paneer, slim cheese, skimmed or toned milk. It is Healthier.
- Use can prepare foods that contain no or low salt.
- Try using healthy fat options like olive oil for salad dressings. This will give you good fat. Also watch out on the amount.
- Try keeping products like packed foods, ready to eat products, sauces, jams, papads, pickles etc away out of your kitchen. They contain preservatives and also are high in sodium (salt).
Making these simple changes in your kitchen and cooking methods will help you towards Healthier You!
All the Best!!