Healthy snacks options:
Life in metros and corporates is rush-hour. This increases stress and reduces the time you could spend caring for your healthy snacks options. Long working hours, commute to the office and continuous attention span make your health to take a back seat.
Things that keep you going are often coffee, snacks and tidbits. But, eating any snack could be good for taste buds but is often a poor choice in the long run.
Start to make some healthy choices when it comes to snacking. Having a healthy snack at the workplace or at your desk is the key to keep the energy levels up and to maintain blood sugar levels during an afternoon slump. Make sure the snacks you opt will give you enough protein and fibre to cut the cravings towards sugar-laden drinks and other unhealthy choices. This will keep you going until your next meal.
Here are some recommended healthy snacks options for you to choose from.
1) Seeds: A teaspoon of pumpkin or sunflower seeds is full of proteins. Its protein-rich source helps to keep energy levels high and provide you with an edge in your workplace.
2) Raw nuts: A Fistful of almonds or cashews are easy to carry around. It is a great combo of proteins and good fat. It provides high energy levels and can be flavoured in the way you like them.
3) Dry fruits: If you have a sweet tooth or afternoon craving, then dry fruit is a great option. It is high in fibre and also provides natural sugar. A few dried apricots or homemade dates and almonds balls will provide a dose of healthy fats.
4) Dark Chocolate: Dark chocolates are better when compared with regular chocolates. Cocoa contains magnesium which is a stress reliever. Always prefer dark chocolates containing 70% or higher cocoa concentration.
5) Roasted Chickpeas: Chickpeas are great at providing an extra punch of energy and beating away drowsiness and dullness. Though the most common type of chickpea appears round and beige, other varieties include colours such as black, green, and red. Like other legumes such as beans, peas and lentils, chickpeas are prized for their high protein and fibre content, and also contain several key vitamins and minerals known to benefit human health.
6) Cereal and nut trail mix: This is super easy and convenient DIY snack to store at your desk. Toss some nuts, seeds, cornflakes or oats, dark chocolate or herbs of your choice and portion out into quarter cup serving size. The mix has the goodness of protein, fibre and vitamins that provide substantial energy that would keep you lively.
Whatever snacks you choose to ensure that you consume it in moderation. Consuming too much of any snack might prove to be harmful. Do everything possible to avoid high sugar and fatty snacks especially that you get over the counter in Rs.5/10 packets.