Garlic is a galactogauge – a food which helps increase breastmilk production. Green garlic (young garlic with tender leaves) gives benefits of garlic and it is less spicy. Dal adds proteins. Green Garlic Dal can be included in lunch and dinner. Garlic cloves can be sown in earthen pots to get green garlic.
Green Garlic – ½ cup
Arhar Dal – ¾ cup
Turmeric and Red chilli Powder – ¼ tsp each
Coriander Powder – ½ tsp
Oil – 1 tsp
Salt – to taste
Cumin Seeds – ½ tsp
Asafoetida – 1 pinch
Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
Onion – 1 small
Tomato – 1 small
- Clean, wash and soak dal in enough water for 15-20 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- Add turmeric powder salt and 3 cups of water in a pressure cooker and cook well.
- For tempering, heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds. Once the seeds start to crackle, add onions, sauté till soft.
- Add tomatoes, ginger and green chilli, sauté till tomatoes turn mushy and release oil. Add coriander powder, red chilli powder, asafetida and salt. Saute and add the green garlic. Mix and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add the tempering to the boiled dal and bring it to boil. Serve hot.
Energy: 70 Kcal Proteins: 2.5 g