Falafel is a nutritious recipe which is quite filling on the account of high protein and fiber content. This makes falafel a perfect option for short break tiffin or snack time.
Ingredients for falafel:
- Boiled Chickpeas / White Chana – 1 cup
- Finely chopped garlic cloves – 2
- Finely chopped onion – 1 medium
- Chopped fresh Coriander leaves – 2-3 tbsp
- Ground cumin – 3/4 tsp
- Ground coriander, black pepper, baking soda – ½ tsp each
- Red pepper – ¼ tsp
- Vegetable oil (for frying)
- Salt – 1 teaspoon
- Boil chickpeas/ white chana.
- Purée chickpeas in a food processor until as smooth as possible and add all remaining ingredients except oil.
- Shape it in a form of cutlet.
- Fry / Bake them until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes, and transfer to paper towels to drain.
Chickpeas (White chana) are good source of proteins and fibre. The iron, phosphate, calcium, magnesium, manganese, zinc and vitamin K content present in chickpeas all contribute to building and maintaining bone structure and strength. Iron and Protein also helps to improve haemoglobin levels which are poor in school going kids.