Exercise for Patients with Cardiovascular Disease:
Exercise training provides benefits not only for patients with coronary heart disease, but also for individuals with chronic heart failure, heart transplantation & valvular replacement or repair.
The following types & amounts of physical activity program is
- Accumulate 30 -60 minutes of moderate intensity physical activity ≥ 5 days week
- For eg – Walking for transportation, housework, yard work, stair climbing, low intensity games & sports.
Aerobic exercise training:
- 3 – 5 sessions per week
- 50 – 80 % of exercise capacity.
- 20- 60 minutes
- For eg- Walk, treadmill, cycle, row stair climber, arm/leg ergo meter etc.
- 2-3 sessions per week
- 10-15 repetitions to moderate fatigue
- 1-3 sets of 8 -10 different exercise for both the upper & lower body
- For eg – Calisthenics, elastic bands, hand weights, weight machines