If you are under the impression that just oils, ghee or butter make you fat, the time has come to AWAKE AT ONCE! Taking excessive sugar, sweets and refined flours is equally fattening! Isn’t it frightening???
There is a series of different processes which occurs inside the body during conversion of sugar into fats-
1. After eating excess of sugar (cane sugar, jaggery, honey) OR sweet liquids (carbonated beverages, syrups, squashes, juices) OR refined foods (bread, cake, pastries, biscuits), blood sugar level spikes due to easy and rapid absorption of such foods.
2.High blood sugar sends message to pancreas to secrete more and more insulin.
3. As a result, blood insulin levels go high. This hormone is required to lower and regularize such high blood sugar levels.
4. In turn, high insulin levels trigger storage of sugar by producing triglycerides inside the liver.
5. Triglycerides form fat cells. This means, sugar gets converted to fats!
Besides, sugar is addictive due to its influence on brain functioning and thus can drive unnecessary overeating. This pathway too, eventually leads to high body fat or obesity!
What are the alternatives then?
- Prefer sweets in the form of fresh fruits. Fruits contain fibers. Fibers prevent sugar spikes inside the body and avoid fat formation.
- If at all sugary foods are taken, take very little amount. Combine these foods with high fiber foods such as whole grains, vegetables and salads.
- Never eat ‘sweet-dish’ after a full meal. Either replace some refined foods from your meal (e.g. rice) with sweets or have sweets before/ in between two meals.
- Go for a walk after consuming sweets. Exercise lowers the blood sugar level and burns the excessive fats too!!