Modern Lifestyle –A boon or bane?
Modern lifestyle especially in urban areas, is becoming the major cause for all sorts of health problems today . We have all the comforts one can imagine of. It’s true, a modern lifestyle means that our lives are about a hundred times easier than it was just a few years ago. We have all types of gadgets at our dispense –Laptops,Cell phones,Washing machines and what not. People are working
mostly on computers to get their job done. Our lives have become very comfortable,at the same time it has brought in a lot of health concerns .
Why is this happening? What is wrong if we live life where we make machines work for us?
First of all Gadgets and automatic appliances are one of the reasons why you are not living a healthy lifestyle. By constantly working on Computers, your eyes are becoming drier. Your back may experience pain by constantly working and sitting in a same position and you may develop serious back problems. If you may have noticed people from earlier generations never had all the niggling issues because they did not have any of these fancy gadgets. They did a lot of Physical work and we don’t .We rely on all these machines to do our work . We sit in front of TVs for long hours without moving while eating unhealthy ,home delivered food. Unhealthy diet habits coupled with sedantry lifestyle is causing a lot of health issues.
We cannot change many of our habits due to our personal and professional commitments but still here are a few pointers that might help you in maintaining your health in many ways.
- Use of Appliances like Microwave to heat up food quickly is good , Use of a phone to order a high calorie, cheese laden – Pizza is not .
- Take frequent breaks in between your sittings in front of a computer. Say ,a break of 2 mins after every hour to stretch your muscles and eyes.
- Keep a bottle of water with you and take frequent sips. Our body needs atleast 2 ltrs of water everyday . Lack of water has been proven to be the major cause of joint pains and headaches among other problems.
Keep the consumption of Caffeine drinks like Tea,Coffee , Soft Drinks to a minimum .Instead Substitute them with healthier options like Fruit Juices ,Probiotic Drinks ,Milk Shakes.
- Workout Daily for Half an Hour to 45 mins atleast .It could be a brisk walk , a jog , a Swim anything.Yoga and Pranayam Techniques have been proven to reduce mental as well as physical stress to a great extent. Recent studies have shown that an hour of workout a day sharpens your memory as well.
Take the stairs instead of a lift and walk instead of driving whenever possible.
- Do not work for long stretch of hours , especially in night shifts. Take frequent breaks in between.
- Do not form a workout regimen which you may not be able to continue regularly after some time. Like joining a Gym for heavy weight lifting. If you are not able to continue it in near future and leave it due something like a professional commitment it will just backfire and work the opposite way.
- Avoid Junk food and try not to have packaged foods as much as possible. Try healthier options like salads and have fresh cooked meal instead of canned ready to eat food.Include fruits in your daily diet as well.
- Smoking and Drinking are a strict no no . Their bad effects have been stressed upon more than enough .
- Manage your time more efficiently . Do not waste time on trivial stuff. If you make a planner you will notice how much time in a day is going unproductive.
A lot of People are not paying enough attention to their health and giving priority to their work and society status. Health is wealth. Don’t ignore it.Keep these tips in mind and be ready for a better and healthier life ahead.