Bottle gourd and red pumpkin are two main ingredients in the Sunset Soup. Bottle gourd majorly contains water and rest fibres. It has a very low glycemic index and hence it is an ideal food for patients with diabetes. Bottle gourd helps in controlling blood sugar levels. Pumpkin and carrot are a good source of Vitamin A.
Ingredients for Sunset Soup:
Bottle gourd (dudhi) – 1 cup
Yellow pumpkin -¼ cup
Onion – 1 small
Cow’s milk – 100 ml (2/3 cup)
Steamed carrot- ¼ cup (for garnish)
Black pepper powder – ½ tsp
Salt- as per taste
Cooking time for Sunset Soup: 20 minutes
Method for Sunset Soup:
- Wash and peel bottle gourd and yellow pumpkin. Cut into medium size cubes.
- Peel, wash and cut the onion into medium size cubes.
- Put the cut vegetables in a bowl and pressure cook them in little water.
- Cool the cooked vegetables to room temperature and then blend in a mixer.
- Pour the blended mixture in a vessel and add milk to the blended mixture. Stir well.
- Heat the above mixture on low heat for 4-5 minutes. Adjust the consistency by adding some water.
- Add salt and black pepper as per taste.
- Garnish with some pieces of steamed carrot. Serve hot.
Nutritional Value for 1 serving (1 bowl) of Sunset Soup:
Energy- 100 kcal
Carbohydrates – 13 gm
Fats- 3 gm
Proteins- 6 gm
Fibers– 3.5 gm