At some point of our life, we all have heard about Cholesterol, but many of us don’t know what exactly it is..
WHAT exactly is Cholesterol?
It is a waxy substance found in all cells of the body.
WHY is Cholesterol there in the body?
It is a vital part of our body & cell structure. Cholesterol helps in making hormones, vitamin D & substances that helps to digest food.
HOW is it measured?
WHEN is the Body at Risk?
When the reading of our blood test deviates from the following indicative range. (Total cholesterol : more than 200 mg/dl).
WHERE it is produced and how do we get it?
It is produced mainly by our Liver but also found in all animal foods like meat, egg, fish, milk & milk products. Plant based foods are free of cholesterol.
DIETARY TIPS TO LOWER CHOLESTEROL:
- Maintain healthy weight.
- Include whole cereal products, whole pulse instead of refined flour products.
- Prefer toned (low fat) milk in your diet .
- Have egg whites instead of whole eggs (with yellow part).
- Avoid fried items, bakery products, sugary items from your diet.
- Avoid smoking, alcohol consumption.
- Take 2 to 3 almonds or 1 walnut, 1 tsp flaxseed, 2-3 cloves of garlic in daily diet as these foods help reduce cholesterol.
- Include Fresh Fruits, Salads regularly in your diet.
- Exercise regularly.
- Monitor your cholesterol levels regularly.
- Keep regular follow up with your Dietitian and doctor.