Diwali is all about fun, enjoyment and preparing and eating a balanced healthy food. This festive period can ruin your healthy weight loss regime, due to excessive eating and sweet craving and also a lazy life style.
Follow these simple tips to make your diwali healthy!
- Keep a tight control on portion size especially when the variety seems endless.
- Choose your snacks which are healthy instead of going for fried and sugary dipped foods.
- Opt for dry fruits over deep fried sweets and use dates syrup, honey or maple syrup in the sweet preparation instead of sugar.
- Prepare dry fruit ladoo and ragi ladoo instead of gulab jamun and rasgulla.
- Never store excess sweets and chocolates post Diwali.
- Traditional dishes like mathri (240 Cal for 4), tikkis (350 Cal for 2), jalebis and gulab jamuns (140 Cal each) are loaded with calories.
- Use high fiber flour like finger millet , bajra, ragi or soya along with wheat flour in making chaklis, mathris etc.
- Use green leafy vegetables such as fenugreek leaves, spinach, coriander or mint to salted snacks.
- Most important thing is make sure you’re drinking enough water during the day as it helps to alleviate false hunger.
- All the extra oil you eat is worked up if you drink 10- 15 glasses of water every day as water is a miracle weight loss drink.
- If you have consumed one meal heavily then compensate the next meal by having a clear soup/ salads/fruits/skimmed milk or yogurt.
- Be active and do not skip your daily exercise regime. Look for a ways to keep yourself active throughout the day.