Carrots and Oats Energy Balls serve as excellent snack option for short break tiffin especially for kids who crave for sweets.
Ingredients for Carrots and Oats Energy Balls:
- Medium sized carrots – 3
- Oats – 1 cup
- Sunflower seeds – 1cup
- Dates -12 to15
- Butter – 1 tbsp
- Cinnamon powder – 1 tsp
- Coco powder – 1 tbsp
- Raw honey – 1 tbsp
- Desiccated coconut for rolling
Serves ~ 15-16 (Makes 50 balls; serving size: 3 balls)
- Chop carrots finely (can be done in a food processor) or grate the carrots.
- In a pan, take 1tbsp butter and sauté the carrots for around 5 minutes to remove the moisture of the carrots.
- Add oats, sunflower seeds, dates, cinnamon, coco powder and honey in the mixture jar and grind it well. It will take 5 to 7 minutes to become a lumpy consistency.
- Once done mix the sautéd carrots and the oats mixture well.
- Use a spoon to form balls, the mixture will be sticky but the texture will improve once the balls are rolled in desiccated coconut.
- After rolling the balls in desiccated coconut, refrigerate them.
There are many energy bars available in the market but they are usually loaded with sugar. These energy balls are low in sugar and high in nutrients. Oats are rich in fiber. Sunflower seeds are rich source of vitamin E and selenium, which acts as an antioxidant. Dates are also rich in antioxidants and contain choline. It is found that higher choline intake is associated with better memory and learning.