Bottle gourd dhokla is easy to make recipe and can be consumed as a snack or can be given in short break tiffin to kids.
Ingredients for bottle gourd dhokla:
- Shredded bottle gourd – 3 to 4 bowls
- Wheat Flour – 6 tsp
- Ragi (nachani) or Bajara flour – 3 tsp
- Rava – 1 tsp
- Oil – 4-5 tsp
- Ginger Garlic Paste – ½ teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Baking Powder – ½ teaspoon (If available)
- Mustard Seeds – ¾ teaspoon
- Cumin seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Curry leaves – 8 to 9
- Coriander – For garnishing
- Grated Coconut – ½ teaspoon
- Green Chilli – 2 – 3
- Water, Salt – As needed
- Mix shredded bottle gourd, wheat flour, ragi or bajara flour, rava, salt, ginger – garlic paste. Keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Pour 1 tsp oil in the ready dough, add baking powder in it and mix it well.
- Dough should be kept quite tight as bottle gourd has more water content.
- Prepare dhokla pan or any utensil. Apply oil on inside surface, place dough inside and let it cook in pressure cooker (without whistle) or idli steamer on medium flame. Ideally it gets cooked in 20 mins.
- Top it up with cumin seeds, mustard seeds, curry leaves and green chilli after frying in a tsp It can be roasted / baked in a pan for better taste.
- Ready to serve, tastes better when served hot
Bottle Gourd is rich in dietary fibres, Vitamin B & C, Iron, Sodium, Zinc and Magnesium, Helpful for Kidney, Liver and Skin. Ragi / Bajara contain iron. Ragi is best Baby food. It also helps Bone growth. Fibers from above ingredients and whole wheat flour keep tummy full for longer, relieve constipation.