Baked Chakli a low fat and low calorie alternative to regular fried chakli. You can munch on this snack guilt free this diwali!
Ingredients for Baked Chakli:
240 gm (1 ½ cups) rice flour
65 gm (½ cup) split roasted gram (dalia or phutana), powdered in a blender
1/8 tsp baking soda
1 tsp red chilli powder
1 ¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp hing or asafetida
40 gm (¼ cup) sesame seeds
2 tbsp oil, heated until hot but not smoking
175 ml (¾ cup) water
Preparation for Baked Chakli:
- In a large mixing bowl, mix rice flour, roasted gram powder, baking soda, red chilli powder, salt, asafoetida, sesame seeds and mix well.
- Pour the hot oil into the flour mixture, mix with a spoon and work with your fingers until the oil is mixed into the flour. Pour in the water and make a smooth dough. Do not over mix.
- Line a baking tray with grease proof paper. Put the dough into a chakli press and make swirls. Alternately put the dough into a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle and pipe swirls.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 160 degrees centigrade/320 F for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Note: The cooking time varies for different ovens. Mine took 25 minutes but keep your eyes open once 15 minutes are up! If you find them getting over browned, then take the tray out and allow to cool.