I still remember when I was small my mother used to tell me do not drink water immediately after milk as it reduces calcium in your teeth and your teeth fall soon. I always thought it was a myth just to make me rinse my mouth until a dentist told me the same thing about tea.
There are many wrong and unhealthy combinations we make when we are having our meals or snacks. These wrong combinations affect our health and our body cannot absorb nutrients from food items we eat.
- Never drink tea, coffee or cold drinks with the meals as it obstructs the absorption of nutrients.
- Not to have fruits with meals especially with grains as it stays too long in stomach and starts to ferment.
- Having iron rich food with calcium rich food is not a good combination as it hinders iron absorption. For example non-veg foods with milk products or green leafy vegetables with curd.
- Any cereal like with milk and orange juice/ citrus fruit juice is not appropriate as fruits can curdle the milk in stomach and can form mucus forming substance and obstructs digestion.
- Beans and cheese is a commonly eaten bad combination especially in Mexican dishes but beans are gas forming and on top of that if you have cheese which is again heavy to digest can create gastric troubles.
- Many people suggest to have lemon with hot water in mornings which is again a bad combination as it destroys vitamin C in lemon.
- Avoid consuming alcohol with food as it may cause vitamin B12 deficiency.
These are some of the bad food combinations and are recommended to be avoided in their day-to-day meal to have a healthy diet. There might be some other bad food combinations also. Please do let us know your views and our experts will get back to you.