Ashwagandha is a traditional medicinal herb that has varied range of properties. It is also called as “Indian Ginseng”. It has gained lot of significance in recent years due to its positive effects on an individual’s health. It is considered to be one of the best rejuvenating agents in Ayurveda science.
BENEFITS OF ASHWAGANDHA
- STRENGTH: Ashwagandha is prominently assisted in enhancing muscle strength and recovery by boosting the mitochondrial function in the cells of the body. Thereby helping in overall recovery.
- ANTI-INFLAMMATORY: Consumption of ashwagandha helps to keep infection at bay by increasing the body’s defence mechanism to fight against the pathogens. It primarily contains flavonoids and antioxidant-rich components.
- IN COVID SCENARIO: There has been lot of mental and emotional stress arising during the rising pandemic since many of them are home-bound, loss of job, family deaths etc. Adaptogens are one such compound that are known to improve an individual’s ability to combat stress. Adaptogens are classically known to decreased stress-induced damage. Ashwagandha has adaptogens which thus help in uplifting good hormones and fights stress.
- IMPROVED SLEEP QUALITY: Ashwagandha itself in Latin name is known as “somnifera” which states it induces sleep.
- TYPE 2 DIABETES: India is a home to millions of diabetes patients and being 2nd highest rising country in the entire world we need to really be cautious of setting appropriate dietary habits, physical activity regime and incorporating the right methods of lifestyle practices. Ashwagandha plays a vital role in improving insulin sensitivity thereby normalising the blood sugar parameters in the body.
- It is also known to have cardio protective benefits by playing a role in reducing the cholesterol levels in the blood.