I had been to my grandfather’s place recently. He is 89. While leaving, I asked him the secret of his long and healthy life. He just answered in two words- almonds and walnuts! Amazed with his words, I looked into the literature and realized that he was right!!
Nuts are packages of precious nutrients… They contain heart healthy fats, proteins and minerals. The following 5 benefits make them an outstanding food choice-
Top 5 benefits of nuts:
1. As nuts are high in calories, fats and fibers, a handful can be filling and hold your appetite for a long time.
2. Walnut, almonds, pumpkin seeds, flaxseeds etc. are rich in essential fats which our body cannot synthesize. High omega-3 and alpha linoleic acid (ALA) content makes them heart friendly, skin friendly and hair friendly!
3. Nuts are rich in vitamin E. Vitamin E along with other brain boosting fats nourishes brain cells.
4. Selenium- a mineral in nuts is a powerful antioxidant. The research has shown that selenium helps prevent prostate cancer in men.
5. Calcium in almonds makes almonds a good choice for children, pregnant, lactating women and elderly. Calcium is required for bone growth and maintenance.
Word of caution:
In a nutshell (!), including the healthy nuts in a healthy way and in a healthy quantity (a handful every day) in your diet, will be a great step towards healthier future!!