Lemon is a super food that offers a myriad of health benefits. It provides effective solutions to a wide range of health problems as it contains many medicinal properties. Ancient Egyptians believed that drinking lemon juice and eating lemons was an effective protection against a variety of poisons. The amazing fruit contains antioxidants like pectin, bioflavonoid and limonene, which promotes immunity and fights infection.
Lemon is a great source of calcium, vitamin C, antioxidants and minerals like potassium, magnesium and sulphur. It also contains several other nutrients in moderate amounts to improve our overall health. Read on to discover some of the health benefits of lemon.
Health Benefits of Lemons
1. Lemon is believed to provide a calming effect to the body and helps to overcome fatigue, exhaustion, dizziness, anxiety, nervousness and tension. The scent of lemon has mood enhancing and energizing properties. It can instantly brighten and energize our mood. Inhaling lemon oil increases concentration and alertness and is often used as a room freshener in children rooms and at work places in order to increase mental efficacy.
2. Lemon is well known to soothe throat infection and cankers. Mix the juice of freshly squeezed lemon into a glass of warm water and use this solution as a mouth wash for at least two to three times a day. If you have a sore throat, make a concoction by mixing juice of 1 lemon, 1 teaspoon of sea salt to 250 ml of lukewarm water. Gargle with this solution thrice a day to diminish the burning sensation. If you have tonsillitis, then tilt your head slightly while gargling so that the juice flows into the back of your throat.
3. Lemon can be effective in treating fever and chills. It treats fever by increasing perspiration to lower the high temperature. Add the juice of lemon to half a cup of warm water with honey and drink this concoction every 2 hours to cure fever and chill.
4. Vitamin C in lemon promotes wound healing property and is essential for the maintenance of healthy bones, connective tissues and cartilage. Lemon heals the body both internally and externally by supplying required vitamin C to the defense cells. This ensures that viruses get eliminated before they get a chance to invade the body defense system. Thus, it is very fruitful for the maintenance of good health and recovery from stress and injury.
5. Lemon has pain relieving qualities which eases inflammation, while it’s alkalising properties act as a natural agent to treat rheumatism. Massage the area with 2 to 3 drops of lemon oil daily or drink lemon water 2 to 3 times a day to cure it from within.
6. Lemon is very good for treating indigestion problems like heartburn, bloating and belching. It flushes out unwanted toxins from the body and helps the liver to produce more bile to aid digestion of fats. Add a few drops of lime juice to your meal to aid digestion. You can also drink fresh lemon soda after having a heavy dinner.
7. Lemon is highly effective if you want to cut down on the flab. They are high in pectin fiber which helps to fight irregular hunger pangs. People who maintain alkaline diet lose weight faster. A glass of warm lemon water with a dash of honey every morning is recommended if you want to lose weight.
8. Lemon works wonders for people who suffer from high blood pressure. It controls high blood pressure by reducing high cholesterol in the body.
9. Lemon juice can also provide instant relief from tooth ache and other dental problems. Massaging lemon juice on bleeding gum will stop the bleeding and will prevent bad odor associated with gum diseases. It can also be used for cleaning your teeth.
Look for toothpaste that contain lemon as one of it active ingredients or add a few drops of lemon juice to your regular toothpaste. You can also rub the outer rind of the lemon on your teeth, but be careful while using it as lemon is highly acidic in nature.
10. Lemons may be the most alkalizing food of all. They are acidic in nature but turn alkaline once inside our body. Weak acids get easily metabolized, allowing the mineral content of lemons to help alkalize the blood. Drinking lemon water regularly improves the acidity in the body.
Try lemon and avail its numerous health benefits in your daily life. Don’t forget to leave us a comment below. Stay fit, stay healthy!
Chetana, an Amateur Makeup artist from India and Founder of StyleCraze.com – India’s largest beauty network. I am completely addicted to Makeup & beauty especially the Colour play and the process involved.