Food is the fuel needed by the body for nourishment and energy. But when this very need becomes a threat to the body yet the mind craves it, that is when the unhealthy food starts to gain the upper hand and makes us sick.
When some of the most commonly used food, inevitable in cooking, makes it to the most unhealthy list it is quite a revelation. The basic fundamental that this list considers is that processed and uncooked food is never a healthy option.
1. Excessive salt: Salt an inseparable ingredient in cooking is unhealthy. Surprised? Don’t be because sea salt or the chunky pieces that we get to buy in any grocery store is the one which is unprocessed. Refined salt is in fact difficult for the system to break down.
2. Refined oils: Think about the oils we use. Refined sunflower, soya or vegetable oils are processed to make them long lasting. They are tasteless but are not without harmful effects. These oils clog the arteties and have been secretly contributing towards heart strokes in seemingly healthy people. The best way out of this is to replace cooking oils with the unprocessed oils.
3. Raw / half-cooked egg: An egg sunny side up and a couple of slices of toasted breads. Seems like an ideal breakfast but is it really so? The uncooked yolk may be the incubation center of the bacteria which causes food poisoning and health hazards. The best way to eat an egg is to cook it properly and negate any chances of survival for the bacteria.
4. Raw veggies: Those of us who are health conscious and would love to loose some weight, greens are our best friends. However the fact that growing the greens have been done using manures and pesticides conveniently escape our thinking radar. Of course we should consume leafy vegetables but only after a thorough wash and a thorough check for a rotten leaf here and there.
5. Frozen meat: Processed and frozen meat is bad but so is fresh meat eaten rare which means almost raw. If not washed properly or cooked thoroughly the dreaded E Coli strikes and then it is fatal.
6. Raw sprouts: The ever favored food for healthy living is a risky bargain. True sprouts are good for health and are packed with vitamins but the conditions which favor the seeds to sprout also favor germs and bacteria to grow. The best way to eat sprouts is to saute it at the least.
7. Unpasteurized milk: Can you imagine yourself drinking milk straight out off a cow? Revolting idea is it? Well that is precisely what we do when we drink raw milk. Boiling the milk or pasteurizing the milk kills the bacteria present in raw milk. Hence one must to avoid raw milk or cheese for that matter made from raw milk.
8. Ripe tomatoes: The red ripe tomatoes is a store of bacteria but it can be easily made edible. All that a tomato needs is a good wash in the running water and hands that are clean. Since tomatoes are mostly eaten raw as salads taking care to keep it contamination free can go a long way to ensure healthy eating.
9. Ice-creams: The summers are a welcome season for ice creams. Honestly an ice cream does not need a particular season to enjoy it. But are the ice creams always safe to eat? Remember the reason how eggs can be unhealthy? Well if raw eggs are used for making ice creams it can spell doom afterwards.
10. Ghee: Ghee is clarified butter – amazing to cook with and eat but unbelievably bad for the cardiovascular order of the body. The Indian kitchen is hardly sans ghee and no amount of convincing
can make ghee history but a measured, once in a while usage of the same may not be as bad.
These unhealthy food listed here are not for avoiding but rather this is just a caution listing. As long the food is cooked the right way, and taken in right amount, even these unhealthy food can be health friendly.