Dieting while travelling, seems very difficult; many people literally drop their diet regime while travelling or when they go for vacations! They convince themselves by saying “I will do it much harder when I will be back in routine and will come back in shape again”. But very soon, it proves out to be futile!
These 10 diet tips will help you maintain your diet regime while travelling-
1. 6 meals pattern: Eat 6 times a day, as you were following in your diet regime, three main course meals and 3 light meals or snacks in between to fill the long hour gaps. Keep ‘healthy fast food’ like fruits, sprouts, nuts and some baked items handy to munch between the 3 main meals.
2. Veggies before your main course meals: Don’t cut on your fiber intake while travelling, always order a plate full of salad before having your lunch and dinner, it is a great way to include fibers in your diet while you are on travel.
3. Sugar free/ Low calorie beverages: when you travel always opt for low calorie drinks like fresh lemonade, Jaljeera instead of regular cold drinks and sweetened beverages.
4. Listen to your stomach not your relatives: You know your limits, always listen to your stomach, don’t overfeed your self just for the sake of others or just because food will left over. Its your health that matters the most! Hotels and restaurants providing services to pack the left over food for you to take home, to have it later. Enjoy this service!
5. Carry your healthy snacks or protein bars: People with diabetes must carry healthy snacks like high fiber biscuits, roasted nuts, roasted chana or protein bars to avoid long hours gap while travelling and to keep blood sugar levels on track.
6. Flax seeds: Carry your super foods containing potential antioxidants & essential fats to boost up your resistance and immunity. Never forget to carry them while travelling.
7. Choose roasted, boiled, tandoori over deep fried: Choose foods which are being made through roasting, baking, boiling or steaming than fried stuff, to avoid extra calorie load up. Options could be – paneer tikka, grilled sandwich, grilled chicken etc.
8. Modify your diet according to activity: Always check, if you are being more active in a day, have your food without any stress, but if you know your day was not so active then cut down your calories intake by being smart and choosy.
9. Hydration: Keep yourself well hydrated, pick your 10 glasses of plain water a day. Carry your water bottles while travelling, not to miss your water when felt thirsty. It will detoxify your body and keep your appetite in control to maintain your weight and health.
10. Avoid fast food and junk food: Fast food is the main culprit, when you are on weight loss diet and find a gap to break the routine, your taste buds thrive for pizza, burger because its the easiest ready made food available everywhere in the world.
Look for healthy substitutes, don’t lose your tempo after following a hard routine, be a strong personality!